【"WHAT IF? METROPOLIS"】OGR Part 1

Comments

  1. OGR 11/11/2018

    Hey Ting,

    Okay - so I'm going to be super- honest with you and just say that I'm struggling to see the connection between you and your artist in your travelogue and thumbnails - or rather, I can see you very plainly, but not the influence of your artist. It does feel to me as if your own cultural preferences and references might be dominating the influence of Subodh Gupta.

    Many of your classmates were encouraged to look again at their approach to conceptualising their relationship with their artists; the trick is trying to imagine 'how' and 'what' and 'where ' - how would your your artist approach the design of a city, what building(s) specifically would they design and where would the site of the city be... and the answers coming from your research into your artist. More simply, my question to you would be... why would Gupta design a Chinese-inspired city? Does that suit his ideas particularly? Is there any evidence that he would be interested in working in that way? I've looked at his work and his ideas, and I can't find a solid reason for your decision to make this into a version of a fantastical Chinese realm. I expect you made this choice because you were familiar and comfortable with the Chinese visual language, but one of the important things about this project is how it encourages students to work in completely different styles and try out completely different ways of working and create work they can't predict. I

    One of the key aspects of your artist's method is how he takes small, everyday items specific to the domestic and cultural life of his home country and uses them to create much bigger artworks that 'comment' or critique on an idea; in this sense, your artists works in a 'modular' way, which is something that architects consider too:

    https://www.dezeen.com/tag/modular/
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/dezeen/modular-architecture/?lp=true

    At the moment, your thumbnails suggest that you're taking existing architectural styles (Chinese) and then covering them with different elements, but I think if Gupta was designing structures and architecture etc, would he be building in the Chinese-style? I think this project is really an opportunity for YOU to try something very different and use your artist to explore some different approaches? I think you need to go back to your artist and look at this project out of his eyes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thank you very much. I also noticed my work is not that much related the artist when I almost finished this OGR. (I think I got the wrong understand of the briefing before I started the work. At that time, I thought we just used the artist's working way to make the project. Now I known which part I get wrong.) So I will make a new setting of the travelogue which from the artist's eyes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog